The Drivers Coop-Colorado
We are rideshare drivers in Colorado who formed a platform worker cooperative in collaboration with The Drivers Cooperative in New York. Our cooperative will utilize a worker-owned app, Coop-Ride, as an alternative to Uber/Lyft to provide better working conditions and better pay for rideshare drivers. Through the Drivers’ Cooperative, we will earn substantially more income (by paying less of each fare to a corporate middleman) and will enjoy democratic control of our own business by electing a Board of Directors and participating in various programs.
Our cooperative in Colorado was incubated by Rocky Mountain Employee Ownership Center (RMEOC) that promotes employee-owned businesses in the Rocky Mountain region. RMEOC will continue to provide various support such as fundraising, leadership development, and cooperative education until the cooperative becomes sustainable.
Our Drivers Cooperative-Colorado will be officially launched in early 2024.
Mission: we aim to generate social mobility and close the wealth gap by increasing pay for Colorado’s rideshare drivers and by creating a more just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
- We are committed to providing our drivers with better pay and better working conditions.
- We are committed to providing riders with a safer ride.
- We are committed to working with other marginalized communities (i.e., refugees, the elderly, the disabled) to provide transportation service.
- We are committed to increasing the numbers of EV for our coop members
- We are committed to a cooperative principle of “concern for others,” working in solidarity with other marginalized communities for a broader social transformation.
Benefits for the Company
Drivers will retain 80% of each fare and 20% of their fares will be used for coop administration. In this way, drivers are able to earn better wages.
Have you ever been shocked by the high cost of booking a car with Uber or Lyft? Booking a ride with our cooperative is more affordable for riders.
Better Local Economy
Rideshare money stays with the local economy. By supporting a locally-owned driver cooperative, we contribute to building a more robust local economy.
- We passed a new legislation in 2023 which will allow a local platform cooperative such as ours to enter a market and to become a TNC (Transportation Network Company) with a reduced annual permit fee effective January 1, 2024. With a significantly reduced annual permit fee to become a TNC (Transportation Network Company), we can launch our cooperative early in 2024.
- The Drivers Cooperative (in New York) is customizing an app for Colorado. The customized Coop Ride app for Colorado is coming soon!
- We are working to develop a stronger leadership structure for our drivers through leadership training and coop education. Anyone interested in becoming a cooperative member is required to attend an orientation. For more information about our membership, fill out the membership form.
- Our launch day for the coop is early 2024.
Are you interested in joining the cooperative?
Sign up to become a member
Are you interested in supporting the cooperative?
Sign up to become a sustainable rider.
Partner with us!